- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Graphite on off-white wove paper, mounted to off-white wove paper
- mount: 43.3 x 30.9 cm (17 1/16 x 12 3/16 in.)
actual: 34 x 24.5 cm (13 3/8 x 9 5/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: graphite, l.l.: W. R.
- inscription: l.l., black ink: Very early work by W. Rimmer
- inscription: lower edge, graphite: (over)
- inscription: l.r., graphite: (over)
- inscription: lower edge, graphite, in artist's hand: Prometheus
- inscription: verso, u.r., black ink: Very early work by W. Rimmer (C. H. R.)
- inscription: verso, u.r., graphite: over
- exhibition label: mat, paper, printed, typed, and handwritten: [red pencil:] SE 1826
- From the artist to his daughter Caroline Hunt Rimmer, at his death, 1879; to her niece Edith Rimmer Durham Simonds, 1918; purchased by the Fogg Art Museum, 1936.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Louise E. Bettens Fund
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Upper right corner of the page has been cut away.
- Publication History
Lincoln Kirstein, William Rimmer: 1816-1879, exh. cat., Whitney Museum of American Art (New York, NY, 1946), cat. no. 72
Jeffrey Weidman, "William Rimmer: Critical Catalogue Raisonné" (Thesis, Indiana University, 1981), Indiana University, no. 25, pp. 756-758
- Exhibition History
William Rimmer: 1816-1879, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 11/05/1946 - 11/27/1946; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Boston, 01/07/1947 - 02/02/1947
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org