- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 59.1 x 48.9 cm (23 1/4 x 19 1/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: l.r.: J. S. Copley RA/ 1790
- inscription: on verso: Earl of Bessborough
- Claude A. C. Ponsonby, presumably by descent; sold at Christie's sale of Ponsonby Heirlooms to Sabin, March 28, 1908; purchased through Martin Birnbaum by Grenville L. Winthrop, November 1941; his bequest to the Fogg Art Museum, 1943.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Augustus Thorndyke Perkins, A Sketch of the Life and a List of Some of the Works of John Singleton Copley, J. R. Osgood & Company (Boston, MA, 1873), p. 128
Frank William Bayley, The Life and Works of John Singleton Copley: Founded on the Work of Augustus Thorndike Perkins, The Taylor Press (Boston, MA, 1915), p. 199
Jules David Prown, John Singleton Copley, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1966), vol. 2, pp. 286n, 298, 342, 352, 412-413, pl. 590
Dorothy W. Gillerman, ed., Grenville L. Winthrop: Retrospective for a Collector, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, 1969), p. 238
Emily Ballew Neff, "The History Theater: Production and Spectatorship in Copley's 'The Death of Major Pierson'", exh. cat., ed. Emily Ballew Neff, The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston (London, England and Houston, TX, 1995), p. 70, fig. 48
Emily Ballew Neff, "John Singleton Copley: The Artist as 'Realist' and London Impresario" (1997), University of Texas at Austin, pp. 107, 273, ill.
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), p. 160, cat. 101, ill.
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org