- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Acrylic paint on canvas
- 267.34 x 372.11 cm (105 1/4 x 146 1/2 in.)
framed: 268.61 x 373.38 x 5.08 cm (105 3/4 x 147 x 2 in.)
- [Andre Emmerich Gallery, New York, New York], sold; to Carter Burden, Jr., New York, New York, gift; to Fogg Art Museum, 1977.
NOTE: Provenance taken from "Morris Louis The Complete Paintings"; Diane Upright; Harry N. Abrahms, NY, 1985.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Carter Burden, Jr.
- © Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Modern and Contemporary Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Sidney Tillim, "In the Galleries", Arts Magazine (December 1964), vol. XXXIX, p. 67
Lucy Lippard, "New York Letter", Art International (February 1965), no. 9, p. 65
Andrew Hudson, "Belated Tribute to a Washington Pioneer", The Washington Post (March 12, 1967), reproduced in color p. K1
Tom Robbins, "Seattle", Artforum (September 1967), vol. 6, p. 66
[Unidentified article], The Seattle Times (July 12, 1967), reproduced in b/w p. 27
Art for Embassies: Selections from the Woodward Foundation Collection, exh. cat., Washington Gallery of Modern Art (Washington, D.C, 1967), no. 6
Morris Louis: Veils and Unfurleds, exh. cat. (Seattle, WA, 1967), no. 16, reproduced in b/w
Michael Fried, Morris Louis, Harry N. Abrams, Inc. (New York, NY, 1971), reproduced, pl. 11
[Unidentified article], Fogg Art Museum Annual Report, 1977-1978, Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1982), reproduced in b/w p. 93
Diane Upright, Morris Louis: The Complete Paintings, Harry N. Abrams, Inc. (New York, NY, 1985), no. 339, p. 219, reproduced in color, p. 164
- Exhibition History
Morris Louis, André Emmerich Gallery, New York, 10/01/1961 - 10/31/1961
Morris Louis, André Emmerich Gallery, New York, 01/01/1964 - 12/31/1964
Unidentified Exhibition, Seattle Art Museum, 1967, Seattle Art Museum, Seattle, 01/01/1967 - 12/31/1967
Unidentified Exhibition, Washington Gallery of Modern Art, 1967, Washington Gallery of Modern Art, 01/01/1967 - 12/31/1967
Unidentified Exhibition, Everson Museum of Art, 1969, Everson Museum of Art, Syracuse, 01/01/1968 - 12/31/1969
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Modern and Contemporary Art at email@example.com